02 January 2011

Song of Gentleness

Developing the awareness that a loved one has been diagnosed with stage four or metastatic cancer is shocking. It is a development that sat me down and made me see the world I lived within in a whole new way, one I am still adjusting to. After the shock wore off, I could do my best to stand tall, support, and be love with my dad as he journeyed through his last year. My friend works in Oncology and we often talk about living with cancer, and the magnitude of life these people live with. The reality: some people live, some people die. Who knows the reason some live and some don't, however as family and friend and community it is our job daily to send love to that person whether energetically or physically. I remember the days I "forgot" my dad was living with cancer. He was just my buddy and my big fat teddy bear, the one who sang me to sleep every night until (I'm admitting this) I was easily in 8th grade. Swing low, sweet chariot. The one who now lives in my heart.

...my poppa set his wings free two years ago Jan 12th. I want to say thank you daddy for showing me that love never quits you and is always right there in our heart waiting for us to wake up each day and hear it's call. I know this was your last lesson, the call to love. When I asked you if you'd make it to your birthday, Feb 13, you said, "Just barely." Thank you for making it to mine that year, sharing in such delicious cake and a large group of people who love us. Thank you for your infectious laugh and warm, warm spirit. I hope it keeps rubbing off onto me. Peace to your continued flight. I love you.

It's a beautiful day, don't let it get away. Eat and drink it up!

4 comments:

  1. Teared up thinking about your daddy and remembering this time two years ago and the year leading up to it... Always praying for you and your family...
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca,
    You always shed such a beautiful light on things. I love reading your words.
    Excited to see you in a couple of weeks.
    love,
    erica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! just beautiful!
    Your words are a good reminder , not only to love fully , but to live fully as well-

    ReplyDelete