31 May 2010

Thank you notes

A first for this midwife...During midwifery school, I wrote a thesis called "The Greening of Birth." A considerable portion of this paper focuses on the collaboration of maternity care providers to greatly reduce the rising maternal mortality rate in the United States. This means midwives and OB/MD's work together when they need to in order to keep birth healthy and safe. Once I started my practice, I did my best to say "thank you" when we transported to our local hospital for the care a midwife cannot provide. I wanted to begin building connection and community for myself as a provider, and for my clients/patients. I still send them every transport.

Two weeks ago, I transported a momma who planned to birth at home. The onset of pre-eclampsia and her baby turning breech brought her to a hospital birth. We met with an fantastic OB, Melissa Augustyn. The parents asked for the hospital to follow their birth plan, a usual occurrence. Dr. Augustyn was very supportive of their requests. When asked if I could be support during my client's birth, for a cesarean, she told us that a recent hospital policy kept any supporters other than the partner out of the surgical theater. Dr. Augustyn "pushed" to get everything these parents wanted for their birth, and therefore I was allowed to attend my client during her birth. The surgical staff was very respectful to the "sacred" birth environment and to this mother, as she birthed her sweet baby girl. I was with my client in the recovery room, as father and baby went through the rituals of the nursery. When I left the hospital that day, I was amazed at the day. Two weeks later. I went to clean out my office yesterday and checked the mail. There was a letter from Melissa expressing gratitude. She said she was writing a note to me at the same time she received mine. I like that kind of synchronicity. In a system where there is plenty of bureaucracy, it is heartwarming and human to know that we are on the way to making collaborative systems in maternity care.

As the rise in "The Greening of Birth" and maternity care begins, I am excited for more midwives to show what we DO know and what we have learned. We can send the continual message that we are the experts in normal birth and pregnancy. I am thrilled for more midwives to receive recognition from other maternity care providers, creating that collaborative force.

With this, I am also reminded every birth is magical.



1 comment:

  1. Way to go, Rebecca! Hopefully this is the beginning of a long overdue and important connection between home and hospital births. Great story to read. Thanks!
    Lisa West

    ReplyDelete